The Rules – Food Fight!
Tournament Rules – HIGH SCHOOL & ADULT DIVISION
• Double elimination tournament – each team plays at least two games.
• Each team shall consist of 4 players (3 players on the court and 1 substitute). COED teams are permitted but not required.
• Players must be of 14 years of age by day of the tournament, or minimum 3rd grade and maximum 8th grade for Kids Tournament. Kids Tournament will have 3-5 and 6-8 grade divisions.
• Players under the age of 18 will be required to have a Parent/Guardian sign a release form before being allowed to participate in the tournament. This release will be sent to any team registering a player under 18.
• Each player will be required to bring 1 light and 1 dark colored shirt for team identification purposes. Souvenir tournament T-shirts are not to be worn during game play.
• Long jewelry is not permitted to be worn during participation of the games.
• The game shall consist of 1 referee and time/score keepers.
• A coin flip shall determine which team gets the first possession. The team that wins the coin flip can either choose to benefit from the ball possession at the beginning of the game or at the beginning of a potential overtime.
• The game must start with three players on the court.
• Every successful shot inside the arc shall be awarded 1 point.
• Every successful shot behind the arc shall be awarded 2 points.
• Every successful free throw shall be awarded 1 point.
• The regular playing time shall be as follows: one period of 15 minutes playing time with a running clock.
• The first team to score 21 points or more wins the game if it happens before the end of regular playing time.
• If the score is tied at the end of playing time, an extra period of time will be played. There shall be a break of 1 minute before the overtime starts. The first team to score in the overtime wins the game.
• A team shall lose the game by forfeit if at the scheduled starting time the team is not present on the playing court with 3 players ready to play within the 10-minute grace period.
• Fouls during the act of shooting inside the arc shall be awarded 1 free throw, whilst fouls during the act of shooting behind the arc shall be awarded 2 free throws.
• Following each unsuccessful field goal or last free throw if the offensive team rebounds the ball, it may continue to attempt to score without returning the ball behind the arc.
• Following each unsuccessful field goal or last free throw if the defensive team rebounds or steals the ball, it must return the ball behind the arc (by passing or dribbling).
• In the event of a jump ball situation, the defensive team shall be awarded the ball.
• Stalling or failing to play actively (i.e. not attempting to score) shall be a violation.
• Any team can do substitutions when the ball becomes dead, prior to the check-ball. The substitute can enter the game after his teammate steps off the court and establishes a physical contact with him. Substitutions can only take place behind the end line opposite the basket and substitutions require no action from the referees or table officials.
Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tournament Rules – KIDS DIVISIONS GRADES 3-8
GAME ADMINSTRATION AND RULES
Time-Outs Each team is allowed one 30-second timeout per game. NO timeouts in last three minutes of the game
Initial Possession Rock, Paper, Scissors (win allows team to start game with ball or decline and get initial possession in overtime)
Game Duration 1 x 25 minutes with running clock. The team with most points at end of game is determined winning team
Overtime First team to score two (2) points wins
Scoring Baskets made from inside arc count as one point
Baskets made from beyond the arc count as two points
Substitutions Players must enter at top of court
Starting Possession To start game and after any dead ball that requires checking the ball at the top, the ball must be passed in not dribbled.
First violation: Warning from referee
Second violation: Change of possession
Defense No double team is permitted, however switching is allowed
Shot Clock No shot clock but no stalling. Referee discretion
Free Throws 1 free throw if fouled while shooting
2 free throws if fouled while shooting behind arc
1 free throw if fouled while shooting and shot is made
Free throws count as one point
Following made free throw, opposing team will check ball at the top. If free throw is missed the ball is live and offensive team can rebound and play or defensive team can clear ball and play
Jump Ball All jump balls become possession of defensive team
Team Foul Limit 6 team fouls
Penalty for team
Fouls 7-9 2 free throws
Penalty for team
Fouls 10+ 2 free throws and possession of ball
Possession following made basket Check ball behind the arc
Possession following defensive rebound Ball must be dribbled or passed behind the arc
Possession following dead ball Check ball behind the arc